Aim: To raise young people’s knowledge and awareness about coral reef conservation issues; To raise their writing skills as a means to share their concerns.
Activity: In 2010, around 20 young people were selected to attend environmental journalism training.
Target Group: Motivated young people around the north coast of Sumbawa City.
Stakeholders involved: Young people, BKSDA Sumbawa, and GAUNG NTB.
- Increased knowledge, awareness, and commitment to tackle coral reef conservation issues.
- Increased popular writing skills.
- Good relationship with local media (GAUNG NTB).
After the training, three of the participants won in National Writing Competition . They are:
- Hamdi. National Writing Competition held by Forum Badak Indonesia. Title: Suka Duka Anak Nelayan. Winning 1st Prize.
- Rizki Khaerul Fajar. National Writing Competition held by Forum Badak Indonesia. Title: Terumbu Karang Hilang, Ikan Menghilang. Winning 2nd
- Haris Apriyanto. National Writing Competition held by Kompas – Gramedia. Title: Pahlawan Air Keluarga. Winning 1st
Follow up: The articles produced by 20 young people participating in this project revealed various aspects causing coral reef degradation and its impact on fishers family’s lives such as low education, malnutrition, and unemployment. Developing a conservation action plan is therefore important.
Thank you to The Rufford Small Grants Foundation for their generous support in this project.